Cycling to School in Germany

Examples of the freedom which children everywhere should enjoy

Cycling to School in Germany

Postby Robert » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Note all these pupils are wearing normal clothing (no hi-viz), and only one is wearing a helmet. The road they are cycling on goes to their schools (primary and secondary), some playing fields, a dog park, the local rowing club, and a bathing area on the nearby local lake, so it's very quiet. The road going off to the right is a Fahrradstraße, on which cyclists have absolute priority (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrradstrasse). Do these pupils look like they are worried they might die cycling to school? In the hi-viz, helmet-wearing UK a so-called eco-school has recently banned bikes from the school premises on the grounds of "health and safety", and is removing the bike shed to extend the teachers' car park: http://www.childhoodfreedom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35.
Robert

Re: Cycling to School in Germany

Postby wangell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm

That's really quite amazing that school is banning cycling. I should be surprised but sadly I'm not. Is anyone making a ruckus over it to get them to change their mind?
wangell

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't know, wangell, but judging by the comments appended to the article in the South Wales Argus it would appear to have been a most unpopular decision.
Robert

Postby wangell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Robert wrote: it would appear to have been a most unpopular decision.
Good the hear. When parents/voters make a ruckus, decision makers sometimes listen. :-)
wangell

Return to Examples